Friday, January 26, 2007

Aussie Millions Out Day 1

1st level was card dead and trying to get a handle on the table. To my immediate Right was Jeff Madsen and to his right was Peter "Nordberg", Tim "TMay420" was two seats to my left. Certainly played weakly enough to get labeled as "weak-tight" but picked up one small pot so I was only down 600 at 1st break.

2nd level picked up a few chips from BB when flopped middle pair and flush draw with my 6s9s seen free from BB. Nordberg and Jeff were competing frequently for my BB but after a checked flop and Jeff betting out a little bet when 5 hit turn I called and got to see my weak flush come on river. Unsure whether Jeff was betting air or not. Few hands later had AA hold up against Jeff's QQ on a JJ high board.

My favorite hand of 1st table occured after a limp from EP I called with my AhKh. TMay420 in SB raised to 1200 (bringing pot to 1800), decided to just call to see if I connected on flop as I was pretty sure he had big Ace (don't know for sure why). Flop came with Black K and two tiny hearts (Ka-Ching). Tim checked I bet 1500 and he check raised me to 5000. Decided since we had already had AA run into AK twice at table and that likelihood of KK just making sets was low to re-raise to 15000. Tim thought for a while and decided KhQh would be hand I most likely held rather than set, asked me if "I would show if he folded?", question absolutely convinced me I was freerolling so I answered "sure"
Tim pushed, I called, and he looked a little pale as bricks hit the turn and river for a chop. Next break there was a bit of discussion on whether he had done right thing amongst the more seasoned tournament pros to protect the 7k chips already committed with 20k behind.

Managed to peak around 39k chips before losing 8k with KdKx in a hand where Erica Schonberg had flopped nut diamond flush and Marc Karam had flopped a set of Ts. Think Erica was going out that hand without my donkey turn call but don't believe Marc knew she already had made flush when he put her all in on turn and rivered boat.

Few hands after that from UTG + 1 and (150/300, ante 25) I picked up AdAh, I raised to 900 and was re-raised by one of the locals to 2k. From what I had seen of this local once chips went in the pot he was seeing a flop so I re-raised to 15k (leaving me 12,500 behind), he called my 13k raise (leaving ~20k behind) and we saw a Td, 5h, 2d flop. Decided only a complete idiot would have made call without KK or QQ (even if he has AA I'm freerolling the running flush) and pushed. Unfortunately for me I found the idiot who would call with TT and was gone. Talked to Mark Karam (6th place, congrats) during next break and had to remind him I was no longer at his table. Mark told me and Dags "That was a sick beat"

There are worse things in life than going bust Day 1 in January in Melbourne. Full Tilt did live up to it's advertising and it was "The Poker Trip of a Lifetime". UIGEA makes this seem so likely to be true.

No comments: