Friday, May 25, 2007

An Omaha Hand from Last night

I was in the girlie chat talking to Smokkee earlier this week and explained why Omaha was a beautiful game to me. Smokkee does not like it because it is "too complicated" I think it is simple as long as you think of it as playing Hold'em against 48 others. There are therefore only 3 questions to answer every street:

1) Do I have the nutz?
2) Can I draw to the nutz?
3) Can my opponent have the nutz? If not can I push him off.

Other wonderful part of the game is the best starting hands have 2 suited connectors in them so as a sooted donk it provides joy.

Thought I would share strategic aspects of this hand:

Full Tilt Poker Game #2504226219: Table Iron Mountain - $0.50/$1 - Pot Limit Omaha - 2:11:02 ET - 2007/05/25
Seat 1: pandaman ($67.45)
Seat 2: etgolfnut ($41.30)
Seat 3: BigSenko ($88.75)
Seat 4: Fizual ($41.80)
Seat 5: TheNutz2006 ($100)
Seat 6: bailey3 ($54.70)
Seat 8: EgisCodr ($28.45)
Seat 9: bayne_s ($44.55)
BigSenko posts the small blind of $0.50
Fizual posts the big blind of $1
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to bayne_s [6h 2s 3h 5h]
TheNutz2006 [9h 6s Ts Js] raises to $3.50

Pot raises with 3 in a row, 3 to suit, but 6 is a "dangler"

bailey3 folds
EgisCodr folds
bayne_s 6h 2s 3h 5h] calls $3.50

I have a run of 4 of 5 cards and if I flop an Ace I have nut low also have a weak flush draw. Drawing to a 6 hi flush would me generally bad but if I am 3rd heart in hand is more postive than negative as it reduces chances of flush over flush.

pandaman [Jh 5s Qd 9d] calls $3.50

Calls with a "dangler"

etgolfnut [8h Ah 4d Jc] calls $3.50

From Hold'em stand point he has 2 hands AJo and suited Ace rag, generally a bad call, but he is last to act.

BigSenko folds
Fizual calls $2.50
*** FLOP *** [Qh 2h 8d]
Fizual checks
TheNutz2006 bets $18

semi-bluff with 6 outs wants to take pot down now

bayne_s calls $18

Decide to call with bottom pair and shit flush draw as I have put TheNutz on AAxx and think if he hits Ace I have low

pandaman calls $18

Top pair + gutshot, I have heard Gus hansen say if up against Aces not so bad a situation
etgolfnut raises to $37.80, and is all in

middle pair + nut flush draw, in reality not a bad flop for this starting hand

Fizual folds

TheNutz2006 calls $19.80
bayne_s raises to $41.05, and is all in Pot committed if I call
pandaman calls $23.05
TheNutz2006 calls $3.25
*** TURN *** [Qh 2h 8d] [Ad] Ka-ching low looks good
TheNutz2006 checks
pandaman checks
*** RIVER *** [Qh 2h 8d Ad] [4s] Ka-ching nut low, nut high wheel, ship it
TheNutz2006 checks
pandaman checks
*** SHOW DOWN ***
bayne_s shows [6h 2s 3h 5h] (a straight, Five high)
pandaman mucks
TheNutz2006 mucks
bayne_s wins the side pot ($9.75) with a straight, Five high
etgolfnut mucks
bayne_s wins the main pot ($166.20) with a straight, Five high
etgolfnut is sitting out
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $178.95 Main pot $169.20. Side pot $9.75. Rake $3
Board: [Qh 2h 8d Ad 4s]
Seat 1: pandaman mucked [Jh 5s Qd 9d] - a pair of Queens
Seat 2: etgolfnut (button) mucked [8h Ah 4d Jc] - two pair, Aces and Eights
Seat 3: BigSenko (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 4: Fizual (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 5: TheNutz2006 mucked [9h 6s Ts Js] - Ace Queen high
Seat 6: bailey3 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 8: EgisCodr didn't bet (folded)
Seat 9: bayne_s showed [6h 2s 3h 5h] and won ($175.95) with a straight, Five high

Not one negative comment appeared in the chat box about play of hand. 20 Minutes later I called a river bet with a nut low, no high and was surprised when I did not collect half the pot.
Oops this is high only Omaha (LOL).

TheNutz and one other player kept buying in full and raising coming in to any pot. I focused on just winning the high but did play a couple of hands against short stacks where I held hands that had high opportunities but would look like I was still playing Hi/Lo to sell I should still be challenged. Humorously I kept sucking out nut flushes or straights and left the table much later up $200+. This would be 2 buy-ins for most but I generally just sit down with default buy-in while feeling out the table.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My bankroll would be a little healther if I paid attention to the difference between O8 and OHi.