Thursday, May 31, 2007

My BBT Guidelines

Having read The Perfect BBT Starting Table and BBT and Other Random Musings I thought I would take advantage of a maximum credibility moment to share my thoughts on how to attack the BBT.

The first thing to consider about the BBT is that cost to enter every event is $961 ($544 to date). Since I've earned just short of $576 to date I think this puts me at a whopping 33 cents/hour.
It appears the total rake for BBT will be ~$4000, leaving ~$2000 for freeroll and 1st $1000, 2nd $600 & 3rd of $400.
1st think this tells me is that I should have bet $40 with Blinders rather than $20 on the Cowboy.

This also says if you can win the BBT with zero cashes playing all events you still may net $39 plus free roll opportunity. Bottom points in Mookie last night was worth 28.8 points Bubble Boy is worth 56.6. All things considered a rather small difference points for scraping into top half vs. finishing 24 spots higher on the brink of cashing. 3rd is worth 80.1 points so the person who achieved the second goal one should have absent the points in an MTT is given 40% more points than bubble.

We have now played 25 events, finishing at the 25th percentile would net you 40 points per tourney and place you at the top of the leaderboard.

My strategy for playing the BBT events is quite simple.

1) At the start I play my normal tournament game: I am most comfortable playing tight-aggressive in early positions, looser in later positions and defending my blinds too much early in tournaments. Would prefer not to have big pots pre-flop but if I think I’m ahead then its game on.

2) As points bubble approaches I have a decision to make: a) if I don’t think I am playing well that night I may just fold to bubble if I don’t pick up premium hand, b) if I feel I am playing well despite having a short stack then goal is to accumulate chips going into bubble or c) If I have a big stack I try to wield it against those I feel are trying to get points.

3) Once points bubble passes I want to cash but I feel playing for Top 3 spots is required.

I believe I jumped from 11th in standings to top of Leaderboard in a week where I took 3rd at MATH and 1st in Mookie. Tells me that anyone currently in Top 18 can make a run with a win and a 2nd in the coming month.

Can see Hoy’s point that points system has flaws, going to a purely cashes based system would be more in line with how poker should be measured but would have impact of weighting Big Game and MATH results higher than River chasers and Mookie.

(Non-Poker related start)
I was in a Football League where commissioner had tweaked the rules to lessen the importance of running backs.
QB got 1 pt for every 50 passing yards 1 pt for every completion, -1 point for every incomplete pass and 4 points for every TD
RB got 1 pt for every 30 rushing yards, 1 point for every receiving 20 receiving yards, 1 point for every reception and 6 points for every TD
WR got 1 point for every receiving 20 receiving yards, 1 point for every reception and 6 points for every TD.
Rest of league drafted Running Backs, Warner and Manning 1st 2 rounds, I drafted Owens and Harrison. This league happened during Marvin’s 137 reception season.

League was in an uproar week 4 because I started Jamel White in a game and my opponent started Ricky Williams. Ricky had 180 yards rushing and 2 TDs for 18 pts. Jamel had 14 catches for 40 yards and got 16 points and talk of changing scoring system began. My position was we could only change scoring if we also re-did the draft as my draft was based on scoring system defined.

Point is it is always important to understand the scoring when you make decisions.
(Back to Poker)

Hope to see everyone tonight at:

Tournament: Riverchasers Online Tour #11
When: Thursday, May 31th, 21:00pm ET
Buyin: $10+1
Password: riverchasers

4 comments:

Chad C said...

BBT was a neat idea, but the leaderboard is flawed.... Poker is kept score in money, who ever wins the most wins right?

Eric a.k.a. Bone Daddy said...

to ecco chad, that is why chip reese and phil ivey are considered the best players in the world, not phil hellmuth. maybe an ROI type system would be best, with a minimum number of events required.

bayne_s said...

I hope my post captured that I also believe there are flaws in the points system.

My goal when BBT started was to outscore Hoy, Fuel, Lucko & GCox. Not because I don't respect their games but because when BBT started I was 3rd on MATH leaderboard and felt slighted that Jordan had not picked me for his wager.

I have always been able to figure out a way to gain an edge in any scoring system created so whenever a Fantasy Football or Fantasy Baseball league tweaks rules dramatically I will usually dominate that 1st year.

Blinders said...

The BBT is simply a marathon. It can't be won or lost in an event or two, unless you have been playing them all or close to all of them. If you sorted by events played, it would mirror the leaderboard amazingly close. I am with you that the scoring system is easially taken advantage of here. That is probably the only reason I am where I am at on the board.

I would score it the same way, but only count each persons top 8 finishes, or something like that. Makes folding to the points kinda worthless after you have booked a dozen or so events, and evens the playing field quite a bit for those who can't play them all.

Thank god you look to be running away with it. I make $20 if you win!