Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Reader's Mailbag

Borrowing a theme from Bill Simmons I thought we would answer readers questions today:

Q: How much more time have you logged playing WSOP Main Event than Bill Simmons?

A: 1st let me note that I earned my way into Main Event by winning a satellite rather than convincing my editor’s it would make a good column piece. 2nd I played ~13 hours, Bill flamed out in 1st level.

Q: How does it feel to simultaneously hold the Riverchasers, Mookie and MATH titles?

A: It feels good. It would rank below day daughter was born and 1st date with wife.

Q: Who is the smartest person you know?

A: This would be Doug who I have known since college. Doug loves watching college basketball and for many years we went to the NCAA Basketball Regional or Sub-Regional tournament together. One year he missed because he took Ann to tourney and proposed during the game. Doug still gets to go to tourney every year and although Ann rarely goes she gets sentimental about Basketball every March.

Q: Have you ever gotten in trouble for going on Basketball trips with wife or daughter?
A: When daughter “M” was 4 I went to Austin for NCAA tourney one weekend. Doug had gotten a digital camera and prepared a photo collage of visit which included a picture of me sitting next to his daughter at Salt Lick and playing a game of chess. When I got home from trip M saw the picture and asked lots of questions about everyone in picture but clearly from question she was most interested in who was this girl? 2 Nights later M came out of her bedroom to get broom and dust pan wife “E” then watched her bring torn up picture out and throw it in trash and she said “That’s my Daddy”

Q: Why do you always refer to them as “wife” and “daughter”?

A: An old co-worker G-Man always referred to his wife as “wife” his son as “son” or “the boy” and his daughter as “daughter” or “the girl” his explanation was it was easier on co-workers since they did not have to keep track of names nor did he have to clarify who he was talking about telling stories. After I was married with child I had not yet adopted this convention when after the trip in question above my department’s administrative assistant asked me, how was my trip? My answer was "I enjoyed it but I was in trouble at home because I had cheated on M." Apparently she told someone what I had said and by the end of the day women all over my workplace are giving me dirty looks. It was late afternoon before Patty who had known me the longest said to me “I can’t believe you cheated on M” my answer was “you know E is my wife’s name and M is my daughter”. At that moment I realized the wisdom of the G-Man’s convention and adopted it.

Q: How the F*%k does it feel to play BBT tournaments with a horseshoe up you’re a$$?

A: I find by using a hemorrhoid pillow there is no discomfort.

Q: How do you think you will do in Mookie tonight?

I generally don’t put much stock in things waffles says but I read this “I am preparing my most potent Waffles curse for him tonight and it should knock him out early. I do not think he will last more then ten spots tonight.” And got these in IM yesterday: “when you come back to earth its gonna be fun to watch, I shall put the waffles curse on you and everything you touch shall wither and die” during ½ Cash last night I lost 1 pot with a 7 hi straight (holding 77) to someone holding 78 and then 3 hands later got stacked with an underset. Can’t completely rule out a waffles curse but still believe the greatest curse is to be waffles.

Don't forget:

Tournament: The Mookie
When: Wednesday. 10pm ET
Buyin: $10+1
Password: vegas1

3 comments:

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

$11 transferred from me to you if you win again tonight. No, you know what? Make it $11.01.

Let the horseshoeassery begin.

Anonymous said...

Can’t completely rule out a waffles curse but still believe the greatest curse is to be waffles.

Too funny Bayne and your post too.

Unknown said...

great blog. would like to read more about ur happening in the poker world and possibly do a link exchange!

AceKingHigh