Monday, June 11, 2007

Vegas Trip Report (Sunday)

I have opted to work backwards in my trip reports as those memories are freshest.

I got to bed a little after midnight on Sunday as I had decided to play the Venetian Deep Stack. 367 runners competing for a $106k 1st prize with Kenna James as one well known pro in field.
1st 2 levels I flopped top 2 pair 3 times but lost to a higher 2 pair, a flush and a straight but late in the 2nd level I managed to get my chip stack above starting levels when I am pretty sure I cracked AA with KK after turning a straight.

3rd level I managed to pick up 2 decent pots as I was at a table with lots of limping and family pots but had seen others try to raise people out of pots which resulted in larger family pots.
1st pot I was in BB with A 7, UTG limped with AQ and there were 4 limpers ahead of me. Flop was 7 4 2 rainbow and I checked as I wasn't confident that TPTK was good in a family pot. (I am sure seeing a hammer flop so soon after a blogger tourney was a factor). Turn was an Ace and I led out with a 2/3 pot sized bet which UTG raised. Queen did not come on river and I was finally back over stack average. Next orbit I saw a free flop with Q7 only to see a QQ 3 flop. I bet out pot since there were 2 clubs and 5 players had seen flop. Got 2 callers on flop but after # came on turn action was dead.

5th Level I folded every single hand, I had pocket 4s once and saw a raise then re-raise in front otherwise best hand was the Mookie.

6th level I folded every single hand for 1/2 hour, I was down to 8x BB when I picked up pocket 9s UTG +1, I pushed, table folded quickly and British guy on button said "He hasn't played a hand in an hour and a half, I would fold Kings". Table goaded me into showing my "Aces" and I did show my 9s. 3 hands later, same British guy raised to 2500 (BB was 600 or 800) and I decided to re-raise to 7500 with only 2500 behind. He thought for a while and I just tried to look relaxed and asked neighbor to my right if he had seen Red Sox score on scroll on ESPN. Tournamnet staff showed up behind him with chip racks and he folded JJ face up. Since I was leaving table I went ahead and showed my 94 (soooted).

Level 7 at new table UTG raised and I picked up AA at UTG +2, UTG had pissed off table and there was a turkey sandwich bounty on him so I re-raised, I considered smooth call but that would have led to 4+ way flop. Instead my re-raise took down hand pre-flop.

Level 8 lasted 2 hands for me. BB and I were 2 smallest stacks, 1st hand big stack limped UTG + 1, tight player at table raised, I folded and BB pushed and was called by the raiser who had TT against Bb 44. 2nd hand UTG big stack limped and I raised to 4k, with TT, SB now pushed and having just seen him shove 44 I called off last 10k chips and lost race to his AK. I probably went out around 98th.

Headed straight back to Rio and went to check on blogger progress in Ladies Event.
Don and I railed Lana on her way to a cash in the Ladies Event, she went out soon after bubble burst on a set-up hand. (In BB with AT sooted against a SB shove with AK).

Joined them for a celebratory drink at the Hooker Bar before Weak Player (former blogger) and I scratched my craps urge one final time before departure. We went to Gold Coast, table started off hot as 2nd shooter was hot, followed by me and weak having good turns. Table was hot and weak was making and crushing the -EV bets. Including a field, press, press sequence as I rolled. I left +$200, weak +$550 after 45 minutes and weak was kind enough to give me ride to airport so I could catch rediculously early flight.

2 comments:

MHG said...

Great meeting you this weekend!

Very impressed with your poker skills--do you give lessons?? Congrats on the FT at the blogger tourney, and taking everyone's money at the HORSE table on Friday night!

lj said...

i still cannot believe you left to go play craps, but i guess that's the joy in vegas being 24/7 action. thanks SO much for railing me, it meant a lot and i know i wouldn't have made it as far if you guys hadn't been there cheering me on!