Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Don't Bluff Calling Stations

Played WCOOP # 8, made the mistake of representing a premium hand pre-flop (A245 ds), flop unfortunately came with 2 high cards but 2 of a suit. I bet flop, checked turn when high straight became possible and the bet river when flush card came. Thought I had told a consistent story but BB loved his Aces and called me down with a pair. I also had some bad chases of lows and/or flushes that did not come in. Peak chip stack had me at 99 of 481 and I went out around 330.

Made mistake of bluffing at a donkey in the Mookie whose AK though unpaired was still good at river. Later went out when I semi-bluffed T6s into KQ9 flop that I also had flush draw and same donkey called with JJ. Note to self: Next time you bluff in a blogger tournament don't tell player you are bluffing you will be jamming Hoy and RaisingCayne every chance you get before tourney starts.

2315 $3k guarantee was Limit O8, followed up Monday's "cash" with a Final Table. 9 handed at Final table average stack was 51k when we were at 5k/10k level. Hard to claim skill is a real factor when best starting hand might be 60/40 fav over what BB is forced to play. It really becomes pick a hand pre-flop and pray. Got money in good on turn got rivered (5 outs for scoop) went out 5th. I am sure I'll play it Friday too.

2 Tournies to pimp:
Tournament: Riverchasers Online Poker Tour
When: Thursday September 20th, 21:00 ET
Game: NLHE DeepstackBuyin: $10+1
Password: Riverchasers

What: WPBT Event #9, NL-DS
When: Sept 25th - TuesdayTime: 9:30pm PST
Where: Full TiltHow Much: $24 or token
Restrictions: Bloggers only, please.

5 comments:

lj said...

yay for cash on 3k.

sometimes calling w/ AK is not donkey play but good read. donkey play is jamming w/ middle pair into overpair and being rewarded with turn and river of hearts for a four-flush.

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

LoL @ LJ there.

Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Btw I think it's fair to say that calling a substantial allin bet on the flop with AK unimproved is usually fonkplay.

lj said...

i don't have hand history to display hoy, but bayne's river bet was not all in and reeked of "i don't have anything but want to win pot."

bayne_s said...

My flop bet was pot (consistent with hitting top pair). We both checked on turn after a 2nd 2 hit board on turn. Announcing I did not like my kicker or was leery of hammer. River bet was ~860 into 920 pot when top card paired as well. Reeked or consistent with no longer being worried about kicker is up to individual interpretation.